Note: Several of the photos have captions with only the names of the people in the photograph. Their organisation, role and relationship to UARM (at the time of the photo), can be viewed by clicking here.
- 2021 Oct 13-15: UARM staff and graduates partook in the behavioural risk management track of the annual Social Sciences International Research Conference that took place under the auspices of the NWU faculty of Economic and Management Science.
The table below lists the UARM papers that were presented. Click on the titles for abstracts of the papers - the full papers can be found in the conference proceedings on the SSIRC home page https://commerce.nwu.ac.za/SSIRC. Prof Theo Kocken, extraordinary UARM professor, presented the keynote address for this track entitled "Complexity Economics and how to be roughly right instead of exactly wrong", the recording of which can also be found at the same link.
|Mulambya, E (Emmanuel)||Projects and programmes: similarities and differences, and implications for risk management in southern African infrastructure development|
|Goede, JF (Fred); Hofstede, GJ (Gert Jan)||Safety risk management behaving badly – time for change?|
|Harding, A (Ane-a); Gilliland, S (Sonja)||A risk culture comparison between risk practitioners and business managers in a telecommunications company leads to action|
|Lamola, MG (George); Gilliland, S (Sonja)||Risk challenge practice as indicator of risk culture in South African financial services organisations|
|Maritz, G (Gerrit); Mulambya, E Emmanuel)||Cyber security risk culture: a telecommunications risk reporting study|
|Lindeque, E (Eddie); Pretorius, H (Hedre)||Measuring risk culture maturity in a South African logistics organisation|
|Keevey, M (Malora); Goede, JF (Fred)||Staring down the lion: uncertainty avoidance and operational risk culture in a tourism organisation|
- 2021 Jul 23: UARM celebrates a virtual reunion with its alumni, during which keepsake trophies were shared with the top students for who were not able to receive them in person. For a copy of the programme, click here, and for the attendance list, click here. A special event to celebrate, was the awarding of UARM's first PhD to Emmanuel Mulambya, under the supervision of Prof Hermien Zaaiman.
- 2021 Jun 15: UARM launches a new trophy, with all students obtaining their degree with distinction, now being recognised. Click here to read the communication, and here to view a list of the the candidates that now qualify over and above the previous individual top students per year. A special reason to celebrate was the awarding of UARM's first PhD to Emmanuel Mulambya, under supervision of Prof Hermien Zaaiman.
- 2019 Oct 23: Prof. The Kocken receives his certificate on his appointment as extraordinary professor at UARM from Prof. Herman van der Merwe. For a copy of the programme, click here
Prof. Hermien Zaaiman, Prof. Theo Kocken
Fred Goede, Prof. Neels Erasmus, Prof. Herman van der Merwe, Dr. Sonja Gilliland, Emmanuel Mulambya
Front: Dr. Elisabeth Lickindorf, Dr. Sonja Gilliland, Prof. Hermien Zaaiman, Prof. Gert Jan Hofstede, Prof. Linda du Plessis, Prof. Herman van der Merwe, Prof. Lucius Botes
Back: Fred Goede, Emmanuel Mulambya, Dr. Graham Baker, Prof. Ian Rothman, Prof. Neels Erasmus
Front: Prof. Wynand Grobler, Prof. Hermien Zaaiman, Prof. Herman van der Merwe, Prof. Babs Surujlal, Dr. Sonja Gilliland
Back: Roland Carries (Graduate), Dr. Elisabeth Lickindorf, Dr. Graham Baker, Emmanuel Mulambya, Prof. Neels Erasmus, Fred Goede, Hedré Pretorius, Eleni Albanis (Graduate), Malora Zeller (Top Graduate), Dinah Modimakwane (Graduate), Bongani Monareng (Graduate)
Front: Dr Elisabeth Lickindorf, Dr Sonja Gilliland, Prof Hermien Zaaiman, Christine Bezuidenhout (Graduate), Wilna Meiring (Top Garduate), Kishen Padayachee (Graduate)
Back: Fred Goede, Neels Erasmus, Ane-a Harding (Graduate), Eddie Lindeque (Graduate), Vasie Naiker (Graduate), Graham Baker
Absent Graduates: David Kalima
Wilna Meiring (right) with the prizes for both the Top Student and the Best Presentation from the UARM Graduate symposium. Click here to view a video interview with her.
- 2017 Mar 31: UARM Graduate Symposium - celebrating the achievers in the Graduates of 2016
- 2016 Sep 12: A leading expert in organisational culture, Professor Gert Jan Hofstede from the Wageningen University, conducts a workshop on the topic with the UARM team. The UARM research focus on risk culture is expected to benefit from this body of knowledge. Mr Fred Goede, senior lecturer at UARM, will be doing his PhD under Prof Hofstede on the topic "Safety culture in high risk industries - a sociotechnical approach"
Click here to view a video interview with Professor Hofstede on organisational culture.
- 2016 Apr 22: Graduation of first cohort of MARM students
In what has been described in a NWU news flash (read more here) as a momentous milestone, the first set of seven masters students graduated from the programme.
Front: Mr Neels Vermeulen, Prof Tinie Theron, Prof Linda du Plessis, Prof Herman van der Merwe, Prof Babs Surajlal.
Middle: Hedre Pretorius, Vaneshree Pillay (Graduate), Bheki Ghutswa (Graduate), Prof Hermien Zaaiman, Dr Sonja Gilliland, Chan Naidoo (Graduate).
Back: Johan Grobbelaar (Top Graduate), Graham Baker, Wandile Mazula (Graduate), Fred Goede, Henry Cockeran, Prof Neels Erasmus.
Absent graduates: GS Naidoo (Graduate) and Leanne Williams (Graduate).
- 2016 Apr 4: The first UARM Graduate Symposium
The top 4 students from the 2015 Graduates presented their researh to an open audience at IRMSA. Two trophies were awarded. The trophy for the Top Student over the duration of the programme was taken by Johan Grobbelaar. The trophy for the Best Presentation on the day went to Chan Naidoo.
Johan Grobbelaar recieves the trophy for best student amongst the 2015 graduates from Prof Herman van der Merwe
- 2015 Oct 30:
The UARM Master's Programme in Applied Risk Management was judged to be the winner of the "Education" industry specific risk inititaive.
IRMSA has also officially endorsed the UARM Master's Programme - click here to view the endorsement.
- 2015 Jun 25: UARM meets with international experts in behavioural finance in support of the Centre's focus on behavioural risk.
- 2014 Sep: UARM is included as one of the flagship research projects in the "NWU Research Dynamics".
- 2014 Mar 6-8: The first intake for the Master's Programme in Applied Risk Management (MARM) contact sessions were held at the UARM venue.
Click here to read more on the background to the programme.
- 2013 Oct 4: UARM is a winner at the annual IRMSA (South African Institute for Risk Management) awards
The UARM Master's Programme in Applied Risk Management was judged to be the winner of two industry specific risk inititaives of the annual IRMSA awards,
namely "Education" and also the "Overall Industry Specific Risk Initiative Special Award for Recognition of Exceptional Service"
Left to right: Henry Cockeran, Prof HermienZaaiman, Prof Linda du Plessis, Hermie le Roux, Dr Sonja Gilliland, Prof Wynand Grobler
Click here to view a document explaining the founding vision of the programme.
(Please note that some of the information on the programme has changed in the interim - refer to the NWU academic calendar for the current information)