The Tourism team at the NWU are the leaders in Tourism training in South Africa. Regular contact with industry, research projects and consultations keep us at the forefront of new developments that will also keep you a few steps ahead of the rest.
We have a very active Tourism student organisation, namely Excursio, which also offers several opportunities to Tourism students, of which one is an annual tour.
After completion of the three-year programme, you will be able to manage a tourism enterprise, but you will also understand the importance of tourism in the growing economy of South Africa, and you will be able to develop it to the benefit of the country.
We focus on the development of your skills and knowledge to be able to develop and manage your own or another tourism business. You will, among others, learn to:
- develop and manage your own accommodation establishment;
- develop, market and manage events;
- optimise nature as tourism attraction; and
- understand the tourism economy and how it contributes to growth in South Africa.
To ensure a range of employment opportunities, you can choose between Economics OR International Trade modules that will expand your knowledge and skills over a period of three years.
Several hotel owners, conference managers and event managers regularly share their knowledge and skills with students, and we also visit their businesses. You will, therefore, work with people, and will also be exposed to economic information that can be utilised to grow the tourism industry in South Africa.
- APS 24
- Mathematics Level 3 (40% or more)
- Additional requiremenst may apply as per Faculty yearbook/calendar
- Potchefstroom [P]
BCom Management Sciences with Tourism Management
[Qualification 5FPH06 P]
Although this qualification offers graduates access to the entire tourism industry, BCom qualifications are focused on the management of the industry and businesses. It creates specific access to careers such as tourism economists, tourism managers, marketers, researchers, lecturers, consultants, accommodation managers and event managers in both private and public enterprises.
Other career options with tourism subjects
- BA (Psychology and Tourism Management)
- BA (Recreation Sciences and Tourism Management)
- BA (Heritage and Cultural Tourism Management)
- BSc (Consumer Sciences with Tourism Management)
- BSc (Tourism-Botany-Zoology)
- BSc (Tourism-Geography-Botany)
- BSc (Tourism with Geography and Zoology)
- BCom (Marketing and Tourism)
- BCom (Communication)
- BCom in Management with Tourism Management
- MCom in Tourism Management
- PhD in Tourism Management
Please visit the postgraduate page for more info